Rye
Sexysaurus Admins
Sexysaurus Admins

Female
Number of posts : 517
Custom tit : Rye loves Grindledore
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Public School vs Homeschooling   Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:47 am

Your opinion? Please discuss! I'll add my opinion in later.

Sexysaurus Admins
Sexysaurus Admins

Female
Number of posts : 399
Custom tit : We are the universe made manifest

PostSubject: Re: Public School vs Homeschooling   Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:16 pm

I can see something of an appeal to homeschooling, especially with modern education in some places being the way it is. However, the case Rye made to me when we talked about this a couple of days ago was convincing, so I'm no longer supportive of it, and I think children should go to school.

It's presumptuous to think that an individual could have a good enough grasp of every subject needed to give kids a rounded education. The reason you have a large number of teachers is because they need to specialize. Just reading things from a textbook does not suffice.

Secondly, if you're raised that completely by your parents, it will be much harder to be exposed to alternative viewpoints. Two reasons this is bad. One: Your parents could have dumb viewpoints. Two: You won't learn how to understand, interpret, and reconcile views opposed to your own. On a related note, your social growth could suffer from it.

This isn't to say schools are perfect or homeschooled kids are destined for failure. Just that I think the benefits of school, generally speaking, outweight homeschooling.

Sexysaurus Admins
Sexysaurus Admins

Female

PostSubject: Re: Public School vs Homeschooling   Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:44 am

Yeah, I was pretty stuck on that argument, I really don't think homeschooling allows all the educational opportunities, and even more importantly, in my opinion, the opportunities to take art, music, do a sport, etc.

Blossoming Seedling
Blossoming Seedling

Male
Number of posts : 16
Custom tit : I will seduce you.
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Public School vs Homeschooling   Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:37 pm

You get more of a social gain by going to a Public School.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mirmathion
Blossoming Seedling
Blossoming Seedling

Male
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Public School vs Homeschooling   Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:14 pm

The following pertains to US public schools.

Compared to 99% of public schooling, I would argue that homeschooling is superior. If we're going simply by raw academic achievement, there's definitely evidence that homeschooled kids *whip* public school kids at the common tests. I don't have citations but if you want them I can get them. There is no reason to believe that 10 average public school teachers are smarter than parents, and I believe that if the textbooks and other tools (internet and computers are, thank god, a big part of lots of modern homeschooling) are made well enough, the personal shortcomings of parents will be absorbed. My sister was homeschooled for her middle school years (grades 6 through Cool. Though my mom was the "teacher," her job was more a disciplanarian and occasional helper whereas my sister mostly learned on the computer. The speed was so much faster than that of the matching classes at our local public middle school (which my sister attended for the first half of grade 6 and which is the best public middle school in the state) that she was able to get a year ahead in high school.

As for social aspects, it is entirely possible, easy, and indeed healthy to have a social life outside of public school. If I only had a social life in the school part of my life I think I might nix myself. There are plenty of great alternatives to school including sports activities, hobbyists meetings, people from the internet, etc. that will allow kids to have a social life away from public school. Furthermore, I don't truly believe that one will be exposed to a large number of well-presented of "alternative" viewpoints in public school as opposed to at home, where (personally) the exposure to the internet has opened my eyes to a huge range of human behavior, culture, etc. (although to say that the internet is more mature, diverse, or positive for children than a 6th grade locker room might be presumptuous).

I personally believe that life is "alternative" and exposed enough as it is and that, for a little schooling, being at home and learning at your own pace in your own way might not be such a bad thing as opposed to being sent off to government schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rye
Sexysaurus Admins
Sexysaurus Admins

Female

PostSubject: Re: Public School vs Homeschooling   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:47 pm

That's good and well for kids who are smart and motivated, that's probably the very best way for them to learn. But the majority of kids aren't smart, and even less are motivated to learn, from what I've seen. Also, not all parents are good at disciplining and keeping their children on track with their work.

Also, not all families have the resources to have a computer or the internet to aid in their studies. Just something to mull over~

EDIT: Another thing to think over is if a child has a mental condition or problem. A lot of the time, that's assessed in a school, because some parents refuse to think of their child as than less than perfect. Also, a child going to school is a way for people to tell if a child is being abused or harmed at home, even if it's not a perfect method.

Blossoming Seedling
Blossoming Seedling

Male
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Public School vs Homeschooling   Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Maybe they're not smart and motivated because they've only been in schools that don't cater to their way of learning. Also, there's a correlation I imagine between parents who consider homeschooling and capable, driven kids.

As for the mental problem thing, yeah, parents can be pretty blind. True enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Public School vs Homeschooling   

Back to top Go down

Public School vs Homeschooling
Page 1 of 1